Respiratory Therapy is a great aspect of the medical field to get into. There are many different areas of medicine that you can get involved in without having to go to medical school. Respiratory Therapy is an important field. Respiratory Therapists work with physicians to help patients who may be suffering from respiratory diseases or cardiopulmonary problems. It is important that Respiratory Therapists be familiar with computers due to the fact that many machines and some of the respiratory equipment are operated by computers. Respiratory Therapists need to be compassionate and very task orientated as well as pay close attention to details.
If you are interested in becoming a Respiratory Therapist then you need to go to school. You will at least need to get an Associate’s Degree in order to become a licensed therapist. While you are in school you will need to take a number of science classes as well as some courses specific to your area of study. Some of the science classes that you will have to take will include:
Anatomy Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation Mathematics
Chemistry Therapeutic and Dignostic Procedures and Tests
Microbiology Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
Pharmacology Respiratory Health Promotion
Physiology Disease Prevention
There are a lot of responsibilities for Respiratory Therapists. Some of the responsibilities include:
Conducting a battery of diagnostic tests
Connecting patients to ventilators to assist with breathing
Evaluations of patients
Supervising Respiratory Techs
Working collaboratively on a team including doctors to come up with plans to assist patients
Utilizing oxygen and Oxygen Mixtures to help patients
Exercises to assist in breathing levels
Respiratory Therapist Schools in Colorado (CO)
If you live in the state of Colorado you can inquire about the programs offered at the schools listed below. Make sure you ask about the certification process and make sure that their program is accredited by the proper organizations. Below are a list of four schools that offer Respiratory Therapy programs.
IBMC College offers life-changing, accelerated career training for adult learners. Whether you are a recent high school graduate, starting a new career or an individual looking to make a change, we can help you get started training for a new, rewarding career in 19 months or less!
Why IBMC College
- Flexible class schedules – Our classes run day and evening at nearby campuses, allowing you to balance the demands of a family, job or other life responsibilities – while obtaining an education on your terms.
- Hands-on learning – You learn by doing. We focus on providing you with one-on-one instruction from experienced instructors, who work with you directly to develop your skills.
- Externship experience – Our students complete an externship within their specific program of study, providing them with valuable, real world experience.
- Job placement assistance – Job placement assistance, resume writing and professional development support is provided – giving you an edge in today’s competitive job market.
- Financial aid- Financial aid is available for those who qualify.
Career Training Programs
- Business Administration & Accounting
- Computer Support Specialist
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Assisting
- Pharmacy Technician
Accreditations & Memberships
IBMC College is nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council of Independent Colleges and Schools.
We are proud to support our country’s veterans. As a Yellow Ribbon Participant and recipient of the 2014 Military Friendly School® by Victory Media, Inc., providing life-changing career training is our commitment to both our civilian and military students.
Programs vary by campus.
Keiser University eCampus Online
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
Why Keiser University Online
Online Convenience to Help You Achieve Your Goals
From faculty to admissions, our staff is dedicated to your success.
- Accessible faculty and staff with small classes to ensure personalized attention for each student
- State-of-the-practice online classroom technology in a user-friendly format to enhance learning
- Extensive online resources with access to all student services, including registration, instructional materials and an online library system with a wide range of academic journals, e-books, streaming videos, print titles and research databases
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools1
- Financial aid and scholarships available for those who qualify
- Military-friendly and committed to serving active members of the military, veterans and their families, with scholarships available for those who qualify.
- Approved for veterans training
- Transfer credits accepted subject to university approval
Keiser is one of Florida’s largest independent universities and is a valued choice for career-motivated students. We offer associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in fields that are in demand, and we provide job placement assistance to students and alumni.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
1 Keiser University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Keiser University.
Other Schools in Colorado That Offer Respiratory Therapy Programs
Concorde Career Colleges
111 N. Havana Street
Aurora, CO 80010-4314
Pickens Technical College
500 Airport Blvd
Aurora, CO 80011-9307
Pima Medical Institute
7475 Dakin St Suite 100
Denver, CO 80221
Pueblo Community College
900 West Orman Avenue
Pueblo, CO 81004-1499